We had quite a weekend. Having two kids is a wonderful experience, and the hardest thing I have ever done! We have been having some sleep issues and this weekend was no exception.
I got into work this morning in a haze and it reminded me of an episode of How I Met Your Mother where Lilly and Marshall are delirious from the new baby and everything looks and sounds like it’s happening under water. That is exactly how I feel today! I remember laughing pretty hard during the episode and the relief that washed over me to see an accurate portrayal of this cloudy feeling.
As a result I searched the interwebs found some pretty staggering statistics about sleep and parenting:
- New parents lose 44 DAYS of sleep in the first year of a child’s life (that’s 44×24 hours=1056 HOURS)
- Parents get just 5.1 hours of sleep per night in their first year
- Surveyed mothers survive on an average of just three-and-a-half hours’ sleep a night for the first four months of their baby’s life
- Half the surveyed mothers said that the sleeplessness had caused fights with their partners
- 83% of new mothers surveyed said that sheer fatigue put them off sex
This all feels true.
What’s amazing is that as hard as it all is, I can and am doing it. I would have never predicted that I would react this way when I had kids. I thought the husband would do most of the work but it turns out, I am stronger and more resilient than I realized. And actually, those middle of the night moments can be really special and bonding. After working and being in daycare all day, sometimes it’s what we both need. I mean, I’d like the sleep and we both need that, too, but the middle of the night is what I tend to remember most about babyhood.
In the end, I’m learning a lot about myself, and growing into a parent. And someone who drinks a lot of coffee.
Can any parents out there relate?!
PS If you really want a good laugh, Google ‘mom multitasking’